Why This NASA Battery May Be The Future of Energy Storage - YouTube
July 31, 2023 at 9:26:45 AM PDT
- 00:00 Nickel-hydrogen batteries, used in satellites for decades, are being considered for grid-scale energy storage due to their longevity, temperature tolerance, and scalability.
- 02:45 Nickel-hydrogen batteries have benefits over lithium-ion batteries for stationary storage applications, including temperature tolerance and lower risk of thermal runaway.
- 04:10 Nickel-hydrogen batteries are low maintenance and non-toxic, making them environmentally friendly. They are relatively easy to manufacture with abundant materials.
- 08:25 The high cost of platinum and palladium in the batteries is a major challenge, but mass production and an alternative catalyst developed by a Stanford professor could make them cost competitive.
- 12:13 If adopted, nickel-hydrogen batteries could revolutionize renewable energy storage by providing a cheap, durable, and long-lasting solution.
- 13:32 For those interested in learning more, Brilliant.org offers interactive courses on energy storage systems and other topics.